Although I haven't experimented with the 406-420 Micors, I have
 done some trouble shooting on the 450-470 MHz Series.  I discovered
 all of the PA deck micro-strip amplifiers are 50 ohm impedance in
 and out.

  In my opinion, if you have sufficient output protection between
 the last amplifier and the antenna, I would believe you could just
 bypass the later PA amps and use the earlier stages for your
 project.

  You have the manual for that radio?  Should be  68P81015E70

  Hope this helps,

  Neil - WA6KLA