Steve,

In nearly every case I can remember, a buzz or hum in an audio circuit
could be traced to a ground loop.  The predominance of unbalanced audio
cables used to connect the components means that some AC leakage currents
will flow over the shields and thereby become part of the audio signal.

The easiest way to correct a ground loop is to convert the audio source to
a balanced output with a high-quality transformer.  Use shielded
twisted-pair cable to connect the audio source to the load, floating the
shield on the source end.  Ideally, balancing transformers should be used
at both ends.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY