At 07:19 PM 6/26/2005, Jeff DePolo WN3A wrote:
>What kind of repeater and ID'er are you using?  And where in the transmitter
>audio circuitry is the ID audio being injected?
>
>I've dealt with several problems, mostly with commercial-band repeaters,
>where a cheap CW ID'er was hooked up to a run-of-the-mill repeater (Micor,
>Mastr II, MSR2000, etc.), and rather than coming up with a clean way of
>mixing the CW ID audio with the transmit audio, someone injected the ID into
>the tx audio stages after the limiter/LPF.

Arcom 210 controller, into a maggiore transmitter, mixed in with the
same audio stream as everything else.
I set the ID level (voice) for 3kHz deviation on a service monitor,
and the same for repeated audio, IOW 3kHz into the receiver gets you
3kHz out of the transmitter.

>  The IDer's produced something
>resembling distorted square waves.  Even though the deviation may be tame,
>the high-frequency components pushed the modulation sidebands out far enough
>to cause adjacent-channel splatter.  Remember, the bandwidth you occupy is a
>function of both deviation and maximum modulating frequency.  Something as
>un-clean as a square wave tone (rich in odd-order harmonics), or an
>unfiltered synthesized speech generator, will cause you to spill over onto
>adjacent channels even if the peak deviation is under 5 kHz.

The audio is clean, and shows no sign of distortion.