Matthew,

You shouldn't need to reduce the audio level going into the
controller.  The RX audio level adjust pot on the
controller should allow you to adjust that level as low as
you need.  You might want to go through the procedure for
setting audio levels (RX and TX) in the controller manual
again.

Is the clipping occurring in the repeater receiver or
transmitter?  Assuming you have a local speaker on the
MASTR Pro receiver, do you hear the clipping there?

DTMF falsing could be caused by a number of things.  First
make sure you set the RX audio level using the procedure in
the controller manual.

I don't have a MASTR Pro manual handy at the moment, and
can't remember whether deemphasis is done before or after
the volume control.  If deemphasis is after that point, you
need to make sure you deemphasize your audio.  The CAT
controller may provide this option... if not, you'll need
to do it yourself going into the controller.  There is
information on deemphasis, including recommended circuits
on repeater-builder.com.

If you need additional reduction of high frequency audio
response, you might try a capacitor to ground from the high
side of the volume control.  Start with .01 uF and
experiment up or down from there.  More capacitance will
roll off the highs more.  This will reduce the overall
audio level into the controller somewhat, so be prepared to
re-adjust your controller audio levels after you get the
frequency response you desire.

Paul N1BUG