Hi all,

This topic is very well described in an article (on Kevin's website) by Jacques Audet VE2AZX.  It is a large file but well worth the time downloading.  You will find an excellent explanation of the various types of duplexers in which, at the end, he recommends this discussed configuration as the best combination of cavities to form a good duplexer.

Go to this link http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/ant-sys-index.html

And scroll down to the article in PDF format

Theory and Testing of Duplexers   by Jacques Audet VE2AZX
This is a large (60 pages) technical write-up that should be titled "Duplexers 101".   Well worth reading.

73, Tony VE3DWI

> Eric Lemmon WB6FLY gave the best response to my

> question of "how

> common is it to place a bandpass fillter betweeen

> antenna and

> duplexer. Most assumed a ham repeater with tx

> circulator and high

> rejection pass/reject duplexer which is correct.

About 25 years ago I had Wacom retrofit a 4 cavity

bp/br 2 meter duplexer with two pass cavities.  One

for the receive side to provide out of band rejection

and one on the transmitt side to make it ballanced

looking if for nothing else.  The repeater was in an

area with lots of other transmitters near it.  Must

have been over 100 antennas in a 3 block area.  Later

I noticed they were offering that design in their

catalog.

Seems most bp/br duplexers do not really have taht

much rejection of out of band signals.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs