I'm not trying to start a fight, Eric, just answer a few questions.

Unless you are pointing the dissimilar panels in different
directions....

[Unless we have two or more suns, the panels should be in the same
plane, pointing in the same direction.  Since the angle for optimum
operation in the winter is steeper than in summer, it is generally a
good idea to use the winter angle year around.  In summer, there is
usually an excess of solar energy, so the winter angle is more than
adequate.]

Around here, some folks are experimenting with the east to west alignment of several panels.  Most of us are not fortunate enough to have a sun tracker mount, and just as it's important for summer/winter declination, folks are seeing that there are instances where several smaller panels in a east to west alignment will have advantage over one large stationary panel.
[I have bought panels from Siemens, Solarex, Shell, and Phillips, and
*none* of them included a diode on the output.  An output diode is *not*
the same thing as a diode embedded within the panel itself.

Okay, so what is the embedded one for?

Remember that one of the tasks performed by a good solar controller
is to shunt all of the excess power produced by the panels, once the
batteries are fully charged.

Can you elaborate on this, Eric?

[Most of the better solar charge controllers have three basic
functions:  1.  To regulate the current going to the battery so that it
is not overcharged;  2.  To disconnect the load when the battery voltage
falls to a level where either the battery or the load can be damaged ;
3.  To shunt excess energy from the solar panels, so that high voltages
cannot damage the load equipment.  It's important to note that the solar
panels, the battery, and the load are independently connected to the
controller so that it has complete control over the power distribution.

One instance I see where the shunt function is very valuable is, *if* a large battery bank is not used (or none at all) excess energy could over voltage the load.
I'm I on the right track?

Kevin

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS