Bernd Maestling wrote:
> Hello Ed,
>
> I'm using an external controller.
> I think the flat response sounds best. I wired T855 output
> PIN 1 (Line I/P1) via the controller to the T856 inputs
> Audio1/Audio2 (Pin6/5). If I use the RX's Audio 1/2 outputs
> I have a strange, loud noise on the audio.
>
> 73
> Bernd

As you are using an external controller, you should check to see that
the audio circuits within the controller are flat relative to frequency
(check AC voltage versus frequency) past the first stage (where
de-emphasis is usually located). If you are using flat audio on the
T855, you will be sending audio with pre-emphasis into the controller
and the controller will need to de-emphasise it. If you don't de-emp the
audio your touch tone decoder will not be happy as the audio will have a
large amount of twist.

You might try driving the transmitter via its 600 input. If you are not
using the 600 input, you should remove the jumper between TX AF1&2 and
then drive TX AF2. Otherwise your controller output is also driving the
600 transformer.

Also make sure the jumpers are removed that connect the TX 600 to RX 600
(look for four jumpers near TB1-1 > TB1-4)

Ed Yoho
WA6RQD