Out of area people searching for a real repeater can
click their mics to open a carrier squelch machine vs
having to lookup ctcss (PL) tones and hope the
information is current.

Many combinations are possible... you could write a
controller macro to detect mic clicks and send a voice
prompt with information about the pl and repeater
operation.

You need only worry about the constant kerchunkers that
cruise the band.  One reason I still love the original ACC
Controller (*rip) anti-kerchunk option.

In the right application... it's a viable idea.

cheers,
skipp