> My suggestion was under the assumption that car batteries were much
> cheaper, had better storage density & would only be deep discharged
once or
> twice over their lifetime.  If none of this is true, then yes a
deep cycle
> battery would make more sense.

Check prices.. I bought ours at wal-mart. Not the greatest source,
but I only needed it to last a year or so. Price was pretty
comparable.

Capacity is a good question. I don't know that there's a lot of
difference, but I would expect them to be near equal, or the car
battery to have less capacity per unit volume. Reason being, it has
to deal with temperature extremes that the marine deep cycle dosen't,
and it has to deliver huge starting current pulses.

They don't rate them the same way, which isn't actually an attempt to
make it confusing, they really don't want you to use a car battery as
a long term low current source.  They rate it in terms that make
sense for it's intended applicaion, and there really isn't a direct
translation between CCA and amp-hours.