[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Here is an anecdotal solution to attenuation.  A major tube
>manufacturer's  tech support once advised me to use a length of RG-174
>balled up in a container between exciter and amplifier to calm things
>down to a closer match to input power level...
>
>I don't say this is the most scientific method, and don't know what
>consequences it will introduce.  However it is cost-effective and can be
>custom made for the individual application from junk-box parts.

There is nothing wrong with this method *unless* the power dissipated
melts the cable over time; which can happen especially if balled up in a
container.
Power loss is usually dissipated as heat, and we have to remember not to
exceed the specifications of what is dissipating the power; coaxial
cable, attenuator pads, cavities, or whatever.

Certainly if you need to drop a 5 watt transmitter to 2 watts, then this
cable could dissipate the 3 watts as heat relatively safely.

Kevin Custer