most of the rules are in state codes,  I know for sure in Florida it is in there codes and I'm sure most states just copy them also.  Call the state and find out what dept covers elevator inspections and get them to fax you a copy of the rule,  Florida has always been happy to do that when we do different installs in the rooms.  Give your state a call and get your info.  Another group I would get info from is UL,  they should have it in there rules how much RF the equipment was tested with.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 5:43 PM
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Co-Locating in an Elevator Room

I see nothing in the NFPA book about that, it just says the elevator stuff needs to be in a secure room. Don't know what good that would do ya, but thats what I see. I have heard of an elevator code somewhere before, but I wouldn't know where to find it, plus it is subject to local codes and enforcement.

Good Luck!

Tom
W9SRV

"Justin W. Pauler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello Everyone...

I got some news today regarding my repeater and I'm a little
concerned... I think I'm getting the shaft on this deal.

I signed a lease with a building to place an antenna on the roof and a
repeater and cabinet inside of the elevator room for a said amount of
money. About 6 months ago I completed the install and everything has
been kosher since.

Today I got a call from the Security manager asking me to meet up with
him and the elevator maintenance man regarding a problem with my
equipment. This meeting was very simple, I was asked to remove my
equipment from the elevator room, not because it is causing problems,
but because it has the potential to cause problems.

I was told the following things:

440 Mhz is "too high" of a frequency to be in an elevator room

NFPA and the "elevator code" says that nothing can be stored inside
of an elevator room other than equipment directly relating to the operation
of the elevator system

Even if the unit is "just receiving", it is still building up
"frequency" on the walls
of the room that will cause "bad things" to happen "eventually".

While normally I would tell this fine maintenance man which door he
could use on his way out, he is pulling rank and telling me that if
the unit stays in the room longer than 1 month, his company will no
longer be able to honor it's service contract with the building.
So.... Sounds like I'm up a creek....

The fact still remains though, I've never heard of NFPA specifying
anything about elevator rooms and I've never heard of an "elevator
code" (but that's not saying it isn't out there). I've also been in
plenty of other elevator rooms in which radio frequency equipment was
housed and transmitting sometimes in excess of 10 times my power with
no issues... Why is this becoming an issue with me?

Any suggestions? Anyone know of a good "waterproof" cabinet that can
go outside? Is that a good idea? Help.

Justin

--
Justin W. Pauler