From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Eric Lemmon
Sent:
Sunday, February 26, 2006 10:10 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Repeater-Builder] Handheld antenna on a Mobile Radio?

I would not expect that setup to work very well.  Most portable antennas are not very good matches to the output stage, and the portable radios are usually designed to handle wide SWR swings without complaining.  The antenna impedance varies a lot as the radio is moved around the body of the user, inside vehicles, and in various angles to a wildly varying ground plane.

When such an antenna is placed right on the back of a mobile radio, it is almost expected that the PA protection circuits will trigger on high SWR and/or reflected power.  A rubber duck or whip antenna is not a very efficient or effective radiator for a base station.

My suggestion is to use a 1/4 wave whip on a magnetic base with 12 feet or so of RG-58 cable, so that the antenna can be "remoted" from the operating position and placed on top of a nearby file cabinet or refrigerator.  This provides a ground plane for the antenna and also puts some distance between it and the operator's head.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY