Date: 03/23/06 09:46:47
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] crackle in a repeater tower

At 01:57 PM 03/22/06, you wrote:
We are using rg223 as fly leads and heliax up to the antennas  .I feel it is a loose bolt in the tower and it moves when the tower twists .apart from checking each bolt .What I was wondering with earthing the coax at the top and bottom of the tower was if it tends to improve the shielding of the heliax so it ignores Any static on the way up the tower .One other thing I might be overlooking is one repeater on site had its ant damaged due to lightning and it could be the cause of the static but the users of that repeater don't find any problems with their reception at all .Its affecting everyone else though which is strange.

This article may be of interest: < http://www.repeater-builder.com/antenna/cracking.html>

Is that lightning-damaged antenna used in a duplex situation?
If not, then the users of it won't see a problem.
Some local sites use a shared receive antenna and separate transmit  antennas.
Our prime UHF system uses a single 406-512MHz antenna at 120' feeding a
Sinclair window filter - 5 or 6 separate passbands that feed different repeaters,
440-446MHz for amateur receive, the rest in commercial bands all the way up
to 507mhz. The commercial repeater transmitters are combined, 5 to each
antenna. Some of the amateur repeater transmitters are combined, some are
on their own antennas. A while back one of the commercial combined antennas
developed an intermittent crack and it was a real pain to find...

Thank You,
Ian Wells,
Kerinvale Comaudio,
www.kerinvalecomaudio.com.au

No problem, Ian.  Please let us know what you find...

Mike Morris WA6ILQ

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS