At 02:25 PM 04/02/06, you wrote:
>I'm searching various yahoo groups looking to see if anybody has ever
>modified a Syntor X up to the 222 MHz band...  I have a tracking
>generator, so re-tuning the RF preselector set, and the VFO injection
>filter set is feasable... I have not yet done the math, but I was
>thinking of low-side injection with a 150-174 MHz Syntor X (which
>normally uses high-side injection) ...

I did the math on a Motrac a long time ago, and actually moved a 172mhz
Motran (then had a serial tag made up that read U43.5MSN-3190AK)

Basically I converted the receiver LO multiplier 75-to-150MHz doubler
into a tripler, and ordered rocks for 149MHz receive channels from a
local cheap rock chipper. I wasn't going to spend good $ on a experimental
The front end mod was similar to Kevin's Micor-receiver-to-220 mods.

The transmitter got the same doubler-to-tripler mod and the PA deck
was actually pretty easy...  each tuned circuit had a coil, fixed cap
and trimmer cap in parallel. By diking out the fixed cap it all tuned right
up.Not exactly the right L-C ratios, but it was a proof-of-concept idea.

A 149.150 CAP or MARS (I forget which) channel element with a
cheap crystal that had drifted low beyond use was able to be tweaked
to 149.0 and it landed me on 223.5
The finals were inefficient enough at 220 that they didn't need any
neutralization... I was seeing a clean 19-20 watts out.

I had the radio working on the local 223.94 and 224.94 repeaters,
and on 223.5MHz simplex.  It lasted about a year before it got
replaced with a Midland 13-509... 12 channels in a smaller box.
Then a 13-513.  Then a trunk mounted 13-513 with 11 memory
channels (DIP switches back in the radio) and one VFO channel
via a homebrew control head.