> "Harold Farrenkopf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > There are 5x transmitters from 151.5 through to 153.025
> > > with the closest TX to TX spacing being 250 KHz.
> >
> > .... which borders on almost being too close for a Star layout.
> > Unless the bottles are large and high Q, those two legs prob.
> > have a lot of loss.
>
> No, 250kHz is fine for a 5 TX star combiner (with isolators and or
> more pass cans in series). 10" cans can go down to 60khz.

Depends on what you consider usable performance. I'm not fond
of >4dB loss right out of the starting gate in addition to all
the other gremlins, which tend to pop up in marginal combiner
operation.  Yes, the Q of the cans make a big difference as
well as the number of... but many of the common combiners are
single can and a bunch are even reduced size bottles.

> Sinclair's stubs are near open half waves if my memory serves
> me and are adjusted (trimmed) to present a balance return loss
> across the span of frequencies used.

Sinclair's Engineering is first rate work.  Another applied stub
method is always interesting to learn about.

> > More often 1/4 wave cable lenghts in the popular 4 port (less
> > than or equal to) combiners when size and cable lengths permit.
>
> 5 way will require the 3/4 wave version to get to 5 cavities
> from the star.

In many cases yes, but I have seen "folded" versions of combiners
where 5 way starrs were used with 1/4 wave cables.  The 1/4 wave
cable lengths seem to be easier to match.

> I was a systems guy and never got into those details.

I'm a moderate Republican not so happy with the way my current
Politcal Party trys to operate. .

> Look at manufacturer's catalog pictures to see how they
> do TX star combiners.

Catalogs can be very helpful.

> The loop and cable length presented approximately a 1/4 wave
> or 3/4 wave shorted stub when you look at it through the star
> with a tracking generator and spectrum analyser.

> The resonance I mentioned was a minimal insertion loss or
> the best VSWR (best return loss) at the middle of your
> frequencies)

The fly in the soup is the minimal insertion loss is not
always in/at the middle of the selected frequencies. And
the return loss or resonant curve/value is not a uniform
shape.

cheers,
skipp