Date: 05/04/06 22:04:55
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] fading desense

Ian Wells wrote:
>  Would anyone have some sugestions on reducing desense fading in and out
> on a repeater.some information sugests checking out the antenna system
> .any sugestions?

As has been suggested, try running the repeater only from batteries
with all power supplies, charge controllers or the like off or
disconnected.

If you can be at the repeater site while the problem is occurring,
listen to local audio from the repeater receiver while toggling the
repeater transmitter off and on several times. Does the desense
occur only when your transmitter is on?

There are many possibilities either way, but in general... If it
happens only with your transmitter on I would have a serious look at
your antenna, feedline, mast, tower, duplexer for any problems. Make
sure all connections and hardware is tight. It often only takes one
loose bolt or guy wire to make trouble. Rusty/corroded hardware can
be the culprit too. Try a different antenna if that is easily done.

If the desense is still there with your transmitter off, I would
suspect interference/noise from some nearby transmitter/device.

I've been chasing a very similar problem that I believe I have
narrowed down to a bad antenna. I'll find out when I replace it in a
few days.

Paul

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS