At 11/23/2006 18:22, you wrote:
> >synchronize the clock to GPS time... but that's a whole new topic!
>
> >It would be more cost-effective to put an 120 VAC input on the controller
> >for the purpose of picking off the 60 Hz reference.  Ever wonder why your
> >50 year-old AC-powered clock keeps perfect time (between power failures,
> >anyway)?
>

>Yes but old clocks use gears and are less prone to dirt getting into the
>counters and causing jumps.

That's easy to take care of in various ways: BPF the 60 Hz then count, or
phase-lock an oscillator to the 60 Hz using a very low loop BW & count the
oscillator (basically a fancy version of the BPF method).

>BTW Bob, I have not been able to key wr6jpl on 131.8 since before the end of
>the last shuttle mission.  What is up?  Will it be up for the next launch?

It's sitting 5 ft. to my right, on the workbench.  RFPA power wiring burned
up at the main connector (it's a Mastr II mobile).  I already fixed that
(bypassed the RFPA power pins, using Powerpole connector now) & am just
taking care of some other minor problems like the audio squelch pre-gate
(for the slow gate in the RLC3).  BTW, when it comes back it'll be using
103.5 tone.

Bob