On 1/4/07, Jack Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I like the Linksys WET-11's, they are a bridge that can be configured with
an access point (AP) or a pair of them in a peer to peer mode.  They are
inexpensive and readily available on the used (e-Bay) market.

If you go with WET-11's get a number of extras.  My experience with them in
static/lightning conditions (not direct strikes - just active thunderstorm
condx) was poor.  Popped a number of them internally, some replaced under
warranty, others out of warranty.  Even un-plugging/plugging one into its
own wall-wort power supply blew one of the early models here.  They're
definitely "consumer grade" made-in-China crap, especially compared with the
equipment quality most of us use on our repeater systems.  By the time you
buy a few spares and spend a summer replacing them (luckily my adventure
with them never got that far!), you'll wish you bought something designed to
be outdoors in the elements on a tower.

Also, if you're feeding power to any device up on the tower via power over
Ethernet (PoE) to get it closer to the antenna for reducing feedline losses,
I think a few manufacturers make some (venerable) grounding/protection
kits.  Motorola makes one for sure, for use on their commercial Canopy
end-user devices when installed on a residence.  I've seen and used only
theirs... a gas-discharge tube type thing, nothing fancy, certainly not as
good as the Polyphaser brand equipment most of us out here use on our RF
lines.  But at least it's "something".

I think if you're planning on more than a season or two of service out of
it, I'd spent a few (a lot?) more bucks and go with something from Tranzeo
or Trango Wireless.

http://tranzeo.com/
http://www.trangobroadband.com/

Both have various unlicensed frequencies available (900 MHz ISM band,
2.4GHz ISM band,
5.8 GHz... Tranzeo even has the new 4.9 GHz stuff for Homeland Security use,
if you somehow have a reason to be there...)

Similar to the parts you make your repeater out of, much of this wireless
data linking stuff is "you get what you pay for".  However, there are still
some shoddy systems out there that have prices similar to the good
commercial units.

I can only personally vouch for these two companies because I've seen their
gear in use -- and they've both been around for more than the average "fly
by night" manufacturer.   Of course used Motorola Canopy gear can also be
used point-to-point and I've seen that done too... but setup is less than
"intuitive" on that equipment.

The wireless ISP that services one of our repeater sites settled on Trango a
few years ago -- we've not had any problems with that unit, and it's been in
service now for a couple of years on a 9,000' MSL mountain and 80' tower.
(Actually the system was reconfigured a while back and we're not the only
user on that antenna/system anymore, but that's a very long story... suffice
it to say, the gear's still in use, but it's not ours alone anymore.)

For the Tranzeo stuff, I got to play around with one owned by another ham
who's had it for quite a while now.  He doesn't have it permanently mounted
on a tower or anything, but the type of service he's put it through was
pretty rough, and it survived and worked well for what he was doing with it.

Watch out -- both companies (all companies that make this higher-end stuff)
have "subscriber" units that are dumb and can only "talk" to an "access
point" unit... or they both make medium-smart types of units that are highly
configurable that can act as AP's or point to point links, or whatever you
desire.  The pricing is based on the idea that a small wireless ISP wants
CHEAP units at the subscriber's houses, and their head end units are the
expensive ones.

For most applications hams would probably be using these things, you want
the "smart" units or the "medium-smart" units at both ends, so you can
configure it as you please -- probably.  Buyer beware, and read the specs or
talk to the manufacturer about your application, distances involved, etc...
before you buy.

These low-end commercial systems on un-licensed spectrum seem to be the
proper "price point" for linking to a repeater site these days... you can
fiddle with cheap stuff, and keep fiddling and fiddling and fiddling... or
you can hang a slightly more expensive unit, set it once, put some decent
(not great, but decent) lighting protection on it, and walk away for a long
time.

Small disclaimer:  The wall-wort power supplies provided with all of these
units are prone to problems.  If you can power them off of your nice fat
filtered DC supplies, even if you have to jump through some voltage hoops to
get there, you'll probably be better off in the long run.  We had a power
supply go bad on a Trango unit early-on, and it started throwing spurs and
crud all over VHF.  In our receiver it just sounded like desense that was
continuous or overall raising of the noise floor (drastically!) but was EASY
to DF, everything kept pointing back to our tower... ruh-roh!  Took the duck
off an HT and held it to various feedlines on a hunch, and yup... there it
was.  Radiating up/down the coax since the unit was being fed power via the
single Cat 5 Ethernet cable up the tower.

Note about that also... technically the Ethernet specifications call for
non-shielded Cat 5 cable, but if the run is fairly short, most of these
units will put up with using shielded cable just fine... a little cross-talk
in the cable may hammer a packet or two, but grounding that shield is a nice
thing to do for your RF neighbors on the tower, just in case the Ethernet
network itself is throwing some nice RF noises around...

There's also no need or capability on most of these units to run 100 Mb/s
and most are also half-duplex radios, sometimes full-duplex on the Ethernet
side with buffers, sometimes not -- so purchase carefully and plan your data
network accordingly... leave lots of head-room via unused bandwidth for
turn-around time, etc.  But generally they're aim-and-forget.  Aiming is the
only "hard" part of installing these higher end units.

Nate WY0X