At 1/27/2007 06:47, you wrote:
>LMR-1200 has about .9dB loss for 100 feet
>LDF4-50A has about 1.45dB loss for 100 feet
>
>At first glance, it looks like you can gain a little more than 1/2dB by
>using LMR-1200.  Now. the real world.  LMR-1200 will require a jumper at
>the top and the bottom of the cable run. (It's too big to connect directly
>to the antenna or the duplexer at the bottom).  This means that you will
>have to have 4 additional connectors and 2 short lengths of jumper cable
>when using LMR-1200.  This will add up to much more loss than the 1/2dB
>you saved by using LMR-1200.

Good N connectors are virtually lossless @ 450 MHz, & 4 ft. of RG-214 (2
ft. each jumper) has 0.2 dB loss.  I know there's a difference of opinion
on this subject, but I'd never directly connect LDF4-50 to an antenna.

However, the real reason not to use LMR-1200 in duplex feeds is the
braid-over-foil shield, which will eventually cause desense & IMD.  The key
word is "eventually": maybe 6 months after install, maybe 30
years.  Nothing like solid copper to keep those stray electrons in line  ;)

Bob NO6B