On 1/25/07, Christopher Hodgdon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> First I would like to say that I am happy to be a part of this group,
> I just found it today and wish to spend a lot of time on here.  I am
> newly licensed as a ham (KE5IGO) and am now the EC for our county ARES
> program, Kaufman County ARES, Inc. North Texas area.

Welcome to the group!

> We are working on getting a repeater system in place that we will be
> able to use and will provide the needs of our organization and those
> that we help.

Chris,

My only advice... and I give it to a lot of people as soon as they say
the magic words... "emergency communications"... and you don't have to
take it...

If you haven't already...

Find someone who's built a GOOD repeater before and listen to their
advice.  Either here on RB, or better yet... locally.  Find a local
guru and work with them.  They know things you don't yet, and they
know the local area's RF quirks.

There's a steep learning curve in building a really good repeater.
There's a very shallow learning curve to building one that appears to
perform well until it's tested with good test gear and/or real-world
events...

Emergency communications, even ARES, repeaters are no place to start
from scratch with no experience...

Struggling with the repeater when it fails to cover all the area that
it can cover, and/or having it blowing up under heavy load in a real
emergency -- is not the time to find out you built it wrong.   (GRIN)

If you can find the local public safety repeater techs who are also
hams... get them involved in your project up front.  You'll be happy
you did, later.  They know how to build things that have to stay on
the air 24/7.

Buy the things they recommend.  Good quality antennas and feedline and
a great duplexer system WILL cost more than the repeater itself,
usually by about a factor of at least 2x.  Be prepared with the
budget.  Cheap antennas, feedline, and duplexers will bite you in the
butt for years.

Etc etc etc... stepping down off the soap-box now.

Nate WY0X