I remember having a similar 6 Volt Tx/Rx version in the mobile. That
vintage Xmtr used 807's in the final for 50 Watts output and an AT
cut FT243 xtal running at 1.0943 MHz with 48 times multiplication to
get adequate deviation of +/-15 kHz. The xtal would rattle in it's
holder. (that was normal) It was a MONSTER TVI generator in it's
day because it put out "spurs" +/- 1.09 MHz either side of the main
carrier for about +/- 5 MHz. They were only down about 20 dB due to
the large 48x multiplication and not enough selectivity in the stages
to eliminate the unwanted emissions. (There's a story here how I
ended up on 6M FM back in ~1961 on 52.525 & 52.640; wow, it's been a
long time!)

The receivers (13VA) didn't have the (newer research line) "Permakay"
455 kHz IF filter and the rcvr selectivity was determined by the 1.7
MHz last IF stages. Tubes are mostly "Loctal" types, hard to find
today. Not too practical to narrowband these old clunkers. Sad to
say, they belong on a shelf in a Museum somewhere. That being said,
I'm still using a high band version (16VA) of the same rcvr on 2
Meters as a repeater monitor receiver. The (then) wide band channel
spacing was 120 or 240 KHz on high band. The broadcast people liked
to use this family of receivers because it has a 600 Ohm audio output
winding along with the 4 Ohms for the spkr. They made nice HiFi audio
studio link 150 MHz receivers and could feed dedicated phone lines
directly.

Good luck with your project. You need to find someone who still has
one of the infamous "red" or "yellow" Motorola schematic books that
Sherman Wolf published in Boston in the late 60's for more info.

George, WA2VNV.

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "rod_shaner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>