There could be a number of reasons. You are going to have to be a
little more specific as Poping a really vague term. If possible try
recording it and post it as a .WAV or .MP3.

This could be anything from a loose wire to desence caused by the
oscillators in the controller.

My research says:

"I've seen that crap before...."

+10V mic bias coming from the exciter down the audio path into the
controller and not playing nice with the half VCC biased amplifiers.
This can also be a problem in the long run as a +10 volt biased line
on the output will charge the AC coupling capcitors backwards which
are between 6 and 7 volts on their positive side and cause them to
fail.

I've even had the capacitors stop passing audio, wait for me to get to
the site, open the equipement, and blow up, right in my face... Mike
Rowe would be proud... Anyway, electrolytic or any other polarized
capacitors do not belong in an AC path where DC bias can occur.

If this is your problem there are a number of solutions. One would be
to put a non-polar capacitor in series with your TX audio path or
replace the polarized capcitors in the controller with non-polar
ceramics. I personally would recommend eliminating the bias supply
resistor from the MASTR-II exciter, I think it was a 620 or 680 ohm
resistor.

But this may not be your problem...