   _____

From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mike - W5JR (f/k/a
N5FL)
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 10:01 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Johnson PPL 6060 manual needed

Posted by: "JOHN MACKEY" HYPERLINK "mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Re%3A%20Johnson%20PPL%206060%20manual%20needed"[EMAIL PROTECTED]   HYPERLINK
"http://profiles.yahoo.com/jmackey_usa_net"jmackey_usa_net

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:26 pm (PST)

are you saying a 45-470 MHz PPL6060 will work in the 420 MHz range?

Absolutely!!  I've moved many an EFJ to 420 operation - 558, 559, 6060.  And
some of them began life as T-Band units, 470-512 MHz.  In the RX, use high
side injection xtals.  Matter of fact, use your existing 440 or 450 xtals to
test with.  The radio will hear a signal -21.4 MHz lower than your current
freq.  You may have to add a 1/4 turn to each coil in the multiplier
helical.  In the front end, use a 1/4 turn for 427-433 range and a half turn
for the low end.  We used regular house wire, 10 ga I think for the 558/559
units, formed around the proper sized drill bit.  Tack solder it to the end
of the existing coils.  They tune right up.  Sometimes, 1/4 inch longer
screws is all it takes.  If they are T-Band, use more coil.

On the TX, some padding in parallel with caps in the multipliers is needed
to bring them in range, especially if TX'ing low.  It is easy to get a
doubler acting like a tripler, so be sure to have a spectrum analyzer on
hand to verify what freq the RF is on.  Same is true for the amplifier
stages.  Two of the helicals in the 6060 casting are for TX and may need the
coil extension trick like the RX side.  They make good 420 full duplex link
radios, similar to a modified MVP.

- mike - w5jr

Visit HYPERLINK "http://www.ourazle.com"OurAzle.com
It's free and you can talk about anything in Azle you like!

11:55 AM