* Tony L. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007 Feb 22 13:40 -0600]:

> 1) Has there been a decline in traffic and the number of active
> repeaters in your area?

Not really.  Activity has always been spares, even when I was first
licensed as a Tech in 1985.  We have a low density of hams to begin
with since this is a rural area and even fewer of those are active.

> 2) If so, what do you feel the primary cause is?

I always blamed on the low number of hams and our work schedules.
Personal lives don't mesh much at all usually.  Back when packet was
the going thing, it was very popular here because we could communicate
in without having to match schedules.  Email has replaced packet over
the years as it is faster to give the group the same message.  Even
when I ran a BBS, most would not check it for mail even.

> 3) What can be done to generate renewed interest?

Everyone needs to present a friendly attitude.  Be welcoming and engage
people in conversation.  Activity begets activity which is a bit of a
catch-22, I know.  As WY0X pointed out earlier, friends have a lot of
conversations, and that is the key--friendship.

73, de Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"