--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
"... Our system takes flat audio in and delivers flat audio out..."

You make my point.  You say "Our system"  You are a controller guy.
Your controller is your perspective.  But that is actually a device
perspective.

Your device wants "flat" audio in and out.  Flat in the sense that
it is neither pre-emphasiszed or de-emphasized as it arrives at your
device and as it leaves your device.  Flat in the sense that you
won't alter the frequency response of that audio on its way through
your device.

The receiver that precedes your controller is another device.  From
its perspective, de-emphasized audio is not flat.  It can't be by
definition.  If you are connected to de-emphasized audio, the
receiver IS changing the frequency response.  If you are connected
to discriminator audio, it is "flat", i.e. not changing the
frequency response.

Keeping a clear perspective on the differences between devices and
systems IS the issue.  At any given point in a system, audio may be
flat or it may not be - with respect to some other point.  For a
clear understanding of the system, we should also clearly understand
the action of each device.

Also, with regard to this statement:

"... can't change the flatness. Pre-emphasis is always precisely
+6.000 dB/octave and de-emphasis is always precisely -6.000
dB/octave. "

Real world transmitters always have limiters.  Those DO change
flatness.  Just look at the EIA/TIA specication for testing
transmitter pre-emphasis.  The test is not run at system deviation.
It is not even run at 60% of system deviation.  It is run at 20% of
system deviation. [that's +/- 1 KHz deviation for 5 KHz systems]

Run the test at 20% into a modulation analyzer and you get a nice 6
dB per octave line from 300 to near 3000 Hz.

Run it again at higher deviations and see what the limiter does to
your nice straight line - the pre-emphasis curve hits the limiter at
progressiviely lower and lower frequencies as you increase the
deviation.  The result of this fact is going to alter the audio
characteristic going through your repeater.  It's one reason why
level setting is so important.  It is also a significant reason why
it's difficult to get a repeater to sound like simplex.

Another post suggested checking the frequency response of your
repeater.  Definitely - do that.  Try it a various deviations.  You
may be surprised at how ugly it gets.