On 3/20/07, Sam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Do you have to use an external controller when putting 2 radios
> together for a repeater? I just want a simple RX & TX and have the TX
> radio PG with a 2min TOT. There are some cables on the internet that
> claim all you have to do is plug and play (MOTO Radiuu 16 pin). Do they
> really work?
>
> Sam

What service are you putting the repeater in?  Amateur?  Commercial?  GMRS?

Most services need some sort of transmitter ID to be legal.  If the
radios can't generate an ID, then the cross-over cable between two
rigs will "work" as a basic repeater, but could be illegal without
some form of ID.  Of course, we don't even know where you are, either
-- since this is an international list, so ... perhaps you're
somewhere the rules are different.

Also if this is your first foray into repeater building, you'll need
more than just the two radios and a cable!  If you're planning on
duplexing those radios into the same antenna you'll need at least a
duplexer... best to read up at http://www.repeater-builder.com for a
while on antenna systems.

This is a good starting point:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/checklist.html

The majority of the cost (2x to 4x or more of the cost of the radios
themselves) of a good repeater setup at a fixed location isn't in the
radios at all, it's in the antenna, duplexer, isolator, bandpass
cavities (if needed), and feed line... if you're doing it "right".

Since you're talking about using mobile rigs, be aware that most
mobile rig transmitters will have to be de-rated in power by quite a
bit (and probably have fans added too) to survive the 100% duty-cycle
of typical repeater operation.

It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish... a couple of
mobile rigs can make a decent low-usage "backyard" low-power (and
usually low performance) repeater... but with some work can perform
okay.

Share some more details of what you're trying to accomplish, and folks
here are very helpful... most folks here can really say "been there,
done that - here's the best way to do what you're trying to
accomplish"... or at least give you two or three good options.

Nate WY0X