Duplexers and cavities have been tuned for many years without a tracking
generator or spectrum analyzer. It is a little easier with a tracking
generator or even a spectrum analyzer and a signal generator. But you can do
the job with a signal generator that you can keep on frequency and a
receiver. It helps to have some kind of signal level meter on the receiver
but you can also just tune for quieting by riding the generator level so
that the receiver is always noisy. That way you can hear if the level goes
up or down.

Using a sweep generator works fine for tuning pass band cavities or even the
pass band part of a pass/notch type duplexer but you can't tune the notches
with a sweep generator. The reason being is that the detector is not
sensitive enough for the low signal levels that you need to work with. A
typical diode detector will only work at about -20 to -30 dbm. Even if your
sweep generator is able to put out +20 dbm that only lets you look down -40
to -50 db and the duplexer notch is going to be (hopefully) in excess of -70
db. You will never find the peak of the notch.

So just a signal generator preferably a synthesized unit so you know what
frequency it is on. You could use a tunable generator and a frequency
counter but lots of generators tend to shift frequency slightly when you
crank up the output level (high enough for the counter to see) and you will
be working with the signal attenuated down to -80 to -100 dbm most of the
time while tuning the duplexer. You can not afford to have the signal shift
around or drift while you are trying to tune things as it doesn't take much
of a frequency shift to mess up your tuning.

With a good generator tune the pass bands at the proper frequencies first.
Then tune the notches at the opposite frequencies. On the transmit cavities
you would tune the pass to the transmit frequency and then tune their
notches to the receive frequency etc.
Then tune the pass tuning at the proper frequency again now that you have
everything in the ball park. Then tune the notches again at the proper
frequencies.

ALWAYS tune the notches last. Do NOT touch the pass tuning again when you
are done with the notch tuning. Tuning the pass just slightly will throw the
notch way off.

Be sure and have a dummy load on the port of the duplexer you are not
working with and preferably 6 to 10 db pads on each of the ports that you
are working with or you may not have the same tuning when you hook it up to
your radio.

73
Gary  K4FMX