At 5/11/2007 09:45 AM, you wrote:
> > There's good reason a "hot air" alarm probably went off for many
> > of you when reading the article.
>
>I'm trying to figure out what his closing paragraph is trying to say:
>
>"A duplexer is working correctly when the sensitivity of the receiver is not
>degraded when the transmitter becomes active. There are test procedures to
>check this out, but the explanation of these tests is beyond the scope of
>this article. [OK, I'll agree with him so far] However, should you hear a
>slow oscillation of the transmitter when it turns on and off (a rate of
>about 1-2 Hz rate on weak signals), then you do have duplexer
>desensitization."
>
>What is this 1-2 Hz oscillation he's talking about?

In the context of the above, he's probably referring to the repeater
transmitter cycling on & off due to loss of input signal when the TX is on
due to desense.  His hang time is probably only 1/2 second, hence the 1-2
Hz TX cycling period.

BTW, I "quasi-simulcast" 2 UHF TXs about 70 miles apart; one is 1000 ft.
AMSL & the other is 7000 ft.  Some low hills between them but not much dirt
otherwise.  Only TX stabilization is temperature-controlled xtals on
both.  I try to keep them within 50 Hz but one xtal is aging a bit so right
now they're about 200 Hz apart.  Still, the heterodyne in the overlap areas
is not bad & the system is perfectly usable everywhere.  Only thing missing
is the 2-channel voter.  I have the hardware to put it together but there
isn't enough usage of the system to justify the time spent to do it, so for
now the 2 RXs are selected by CTCSS freq.

Bob NO6B