It's entirely possible to boot the ios on a cheap computer via a usb stick ,
add a suitable interface /port card for radio control  and you have all the
advantages of the radio over ip in very cheap package , now if I can do it
so can you guys :)
although there are other o/s such as certain 'nix telephone devices that I
would consider .

>From: "Nate Duehr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Cisci LMR Gateway
>Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 19:15:06 -0600 (MDT)
>

> > Anybody ever use one of these as part of a repeater system?
> >

>http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps259/c1650/cdccont_0900aecd8034ef85.pdf
> >
> > Bill
>
>Nifty.  Cisco came out with a real RoIP (Radio over IP) standard and
>published it with IETF about a year ago, and I was wondering when we'd
>start to see real products with the capability of doing it.  Interesting.
>
>Sorry, haven't used one yet, but some thoughts...
>
>Advantages:
>- If you already have a Cisco IT shop, there's a good chance those folks
>can easily pick up on the changes in IOS commands (but probably need a
>half-day "what's a radio doing hooked to my router?!" session with the
>radio techs).
>- Standards based.  Finally.  Even if Cisco did have to go write the
>standard themselves.
>- Probably performs well.  Cisco's boxes usually do a good job with the
>raw handling of IP, done right.
>
>Disadvantages:
>- None of those routers aren't cheap.  ($$$)  Add on the license for the
>RoIP gateway feature set ($995 list price... $$$), and you're getting into
>some serious money.
>- Never seen an IT product that can handle a lightning strike and keep
>running.  At these prices, that's going to hurt - a lot.  They need a
>low-end "it's cheap enough that we can keep three spares" product in this
>lineup.  If you have a Cisco rep already -- tell them, make sure they send
>that feedback up the chain to engineering.  Ask them to tell you how it'll
>survive hooked to a radio that is part of a site-ground/bonding system and
>whether or not it'll become the expensive ground lug for the radio when
>the tower takes a direct hit.  Make 'em finish the engineering job, if
>they want to "play" in the radio world.
>- If you want service after the sale, you will have to buy a Cisco service
>contract ($$$$$).  They're not going to be helpful like a smaller shop
>would be.  It'll be an annual cost.  ($$$$$/time).
>- Even though it's standards-based, I doubt anything else will talk to it
>on the IP side of things yet.  Haven't seen anyone tackle writing an RoIP
>stack that matches Cisco's standard they published with IETF yet.  Lots of
>devices out there claiming to do VoIP, none following any published
>standards or worse, purposely not following anything but proprietary
>standards, so you have to buy their radios and their VoIP gear together.
>This will slowly change... hopefully.  When you talk to radio
>manufacturers, demand they look at the IETF RoIP spec.  Put it in RFC's
>and scare 'em, even if you don't need to use it today. Ask 'em also why
>they're not coding to standards like H.323 which has been around in
> [...]

Advertisement: Missy Higgins new album On A Clear Night – stream full tracks
now!
http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=781&referral=hotmailtaglineMay&URL=http://music.ninemsn.com.au/playlist.aspx?sectionid=2465&sectionname=artistfeature&subsectionid=9150&subsectionname=missyhiggins&categoryid=2577

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: