[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello to All,
>
> I am starting to develop a future ham repeater relation with a tower
> site(s) owner and recently got a request for something unusual. The
> company has a fleet of VHF radio equipped vehicles. They want to pull up
> to a site, enter a touch-tone sequence on the mike, and open a security
> gate at the site. I could kludge together something, but would rather
> find something commercially available. Anytime I have kludged something
> together, I have ended up having to repair it for longer that I
> expected. Something with a VHF receiver, TT decode and relay contact
> output would be great.
>
> Any ides if this is even made commercially? I know that some
> fire/ambulance departments use a similar idea to open and close the
> firehouse door. Some also have the ability to control traffic control
> lights on their way to a situation.
>
> 73, Joe, k1ike

Another vote for a simple garage door opener, but specifically because:

you can easily buy radios which use a "rolling code".  If you used a
simple dtmf or plain garage door opener,
there would be nothing stopping an intruder from just memorizing the
signal.  Rolling code allows multiple transmitters, btw.  If one were
lost, you can "deregister" it from the receiver and "reregister" the new
one.  This is by far the cheapest solution and might be the best.
--
73,

Larry, W1HJF
rapp at lmr dot com