All,

Thanks for the comments... Looks like I have plenty to research and
keep me busy for a while.

I notice alot of people here use converted comercial radios for
repeaters.  How available are these??  A quick search on e-bay did
not show a large number of hits... but maybe the availability is
cyclical...

Thanks again,

Lou

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, Nate Duehr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Lou,
>
> I'll throw out my wishes for you to have fun and enjoy building a
> repeater, but I'll also throw up in the air my usual comment to all
> budding repeater-builder type folks...
>
> Find a local club that needs help.  There's ALWAYS someone locally
that
> needs help with an existing repeater or system!  (Or move to
Denver,
> we'll put you to work!!)
>
> Repeaters need maintenance, not a lot, if they're built right, but
> there's always "something" to be done/checked every year or so.
>
> And every few years, you might have some tower/antenna work to do,
and
> every few other years maybe some measurements to take critically
with
> good test gear to see if the repeater is still performing to
baseline
> specifications that you measured a few years before that... and...
> things fail... or get blown up by lightning...
>
> Well, the list goes on and on... it never stops, really.  After you
get
> picky about audio you can start obsessing about that, and come up
with a
> project list twice as long and difficult as the "just get it on the
air
> and working" list!  There's always something to analyze, think
about,
> and try to make better... without making it worse.
>
> Many clubs/organizations are short of qualified folks to work on
their
> systems.  There's lots of "radio operators" out there, happy to use
the
> systems, but the number of techs who'll work on them -- it is a
very
> small group of people in most populated areas.  In rural areas, you
> really might find 3-4 people total who REALLY do repeaters right.
>
> (Hint: Pick repeaters in your area that seem to have better
performance
> than others in the area and then look up the callsign.  Find out
who
> owns/operates it and approach those people.  FIND THOSE techs...
they