* Kris Kirby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007 Jul 31 04:41 -0500]:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Bill Powell wrote:
> > Looking for experience and advice in using SPLAT or RM to "reverse
> > plot" a repeater.
> >
> > What I'd like to do is identify holes in the current coverage and run
> > a plot with SPLAT or RM with the holes as the center point to identify
> > potential repeater sites. Do I use mobile parameters (antenna height)
> > at the hole or do I use an estimated height of 100' assuming that I'll
> > have a 100' tower at the new site? Restated - how do I insure that
> > reciprocal results are reliable?
>
> You're gonna need a lot of computing power.
>
> A LOT of computing power.

As compared to?  I routinely run SPLAT! coverage plots on my trusty
1.333 GHz Pentium III based T23 laptop.  Yes, it may take a couple of
minutes to chew through some of the more demanding plots.  For SPLAT!
purposes, enough computing power is available on the used market for
even the most frugal ham.

Even in the case of SPLAT!, memory is more important than CPU speed.  I
have 768 MiB in the laptop and a full GiB wouldn't hurt, but it really
isn't worth tossing a 256 MiB chip for a 512 MiB one.  Opening the
PPM files generated by GNU Plot in the Gimp is no problem for my T23
either.  I do this work on a Slackware partition which is quite a bit
leaner than my Debian partition which I have set up for as a rich
desktop.

73, de Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of