The SSM antennas have a very narrow angle of
radiation, hence all that gain. Close-in performance,
or stations under the umbrella, don't do too well. I'm
using a PD455 cut for 440-450 on my repeater on
444.xxx and at my end of the 500ft of coax there's 55
watts forward and about 0.3 watts reflected. The
antenna is up 1100ft ASL and the surrounding terrain
is in the 100-300ft ASL range. Portables within a
couple of miles can be noisy at times.

I went with the SSM because I knew it worked well, but
didn't have the time to consider down-tilt. The other
antennas on the tower were the same thing. If I ever
have to do it again, I'll probably consider a 4 or 8
bay DB224-style antenna. I don't need the 45 mile
radius; I'd rather be able to make the repeater from
my house 6 miles away at 70ft ASL.

While I haven't had to deal with RFS for antenna
parts, they've been very responsive for technical
info. So try calling them and ask about the adapter.

Bob M.
======

FareChase.
http://farechase.yahoo.com/