Some of the Yaesu dual-band mobiles have no filtering
in the audio chain. They tout the fact that the audio
is very "hi-fi" sounding. In fact, almost anything
from 50 Hz to 10 kHz will make it through the MIC
audio circuit. After that, they mix in the CTCSS. I
have one user on my repeater that drives GM vehicles,
and for some reason, the tire noise at certain speeds
comes through the microphone and beats with the CTCSS
tone. He drops out like crazy and it frustrates us
all. Several other Yaesu users got rid of their radios
because they wouldn't work with Motorola repeater PL
decoders. One cure was to turn deviation way up so the
CTCSS came out at over 1 kHz deviation, but then the
user had to remember to speak softer because the radio
waw now capable of over 7 kHz deviation. Not the right
way to go.

Many radios have bandpass or highpass filters in the
MIC audio stages so the low frequency audio doesn't
interfere with the CTCSS or DCS signals, but not
Yaesu. So I'm not surprised that this "feature" is
present in a lot of their products. Strangely, the
Yaesu quad-band mobile radio doesn't suffer from this
problem.

I've had this problem using MSF5000 and MaxTrac
receivers. I know both units are capable of decoding
PL down to less than 100 Hz of deviation, and
everything works fine with a Yaesu if you can key it
up but not pass any MIC audio through the transmitter.
Of course, while that's a fix, it's not what the users
want. It'll be hard to convince all those people that
their radios are the cause of the trouble, not the
repeater.

Bob M.
======

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.