Hi Guys,

When reducing power levels on GE PA's, be sure and check the output
on a Spectrum Analyzer for spurs at the reduced output power level.

Shorty, K6JSI

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, Ron Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Dwayne,
>
> I have done exactly as you said with a relay and a second pot.  It
works well.

> The only problem one does not realize the power savings one might
think although it is a noticable amount.  The reason is if you look
at a MII PA running 100 W its current draw is about 20 Amps.  by
reducing the power out to 60 W the PA still draws about 15 Amps.
Reducing it to 20 W would probably give a current draw of 8 Amp.
Just have to try with the pot now in place.  It would improve your
battery life.

> If you use a smaller PA as you suggested, MII or Exec II (both can
be driven by the MII exciter just fine) a 35 W PA turned down to 20
W the current draw will be noticably lower than 20 W with the 100 W
PA.  Of course this is more work with the RF switching.

> 73, ron, n9ee/r
>

> >From: ldgelectronics <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Date: 2007/10/16 Tue PM 06:11:14 CDT
> >To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
> >Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Reducing power out when on battery
backup.

> >Hello All,
> >
> >I have a requirement to install a battery backup system at a
local
> >ham repeater. It's a GE Mastr II running about 100 watts. With
that
> >much RF power, a couple of 100 AH batteries is only going to last
> >few hours.
> >
> >My first thought was to add a second lower power RF amp
(something