Hello Eric

Good question and I think that my answer is probably not.

In my case, or I should say, in the case of our PD duplexers, I inherited both
of them (as new lead man) in used condition. My predecessors had successfully
used both of them in protected but somewhat damp locations for years without
obvious problems.----same frequency pair, in primary and backup repeaters. The
backup repeater was abandoned and the primary was completely rebuilt using a
different new transmitter and improved sensitivity new receiver. In integration
testing of the new repeater system, severe desense was found which was traced
to being the result of wide band noise from the duplexers (both were tried).
One was worse than the other but both produced a gob of wide band noise over
the receive frequency. when the transmitter was operated. This was witnessed
via spectrum analyzer on a sample "T" between the Rx  port of the duplexers and
the receiver.

The tuning of both duplexers was checked and was found to be good, in fact,
very good-----about 1.75 db thruput loss (both paths) and about 110 db Tx to Rx
loss. Also, it was found that almost all of the cavity pass adjusters felt like
a squeaky dry meat grinder full of chicken bones when turned. It was obvious
that the problem was down with the finger stock and not in the adjuster bolts
(rods) as windup  in the bolts was easily felt. One eventually jammed and the
other duplexer was reverse tuned but was still noisy.

I can't say at this time just what went wrong inside as I haven't had time to
open one for a look. The paint looks good, the adjuster bolts are a bit rusty
but not bad and looking inside, with the connector-loop plate removed, no
corrosion is visible and it is impossible to see the finger stock area.

I made contact with a fellow in the East some time ago who had similar problems
with a PD 497. He drilled holes in the top, through the inter tube protrusion
and squirted contact cleaner in and successfully fixed his noise problem. He
also drilled some holes in the bottom to let the excess out and replaced all of
the connectors with silver body-gold pin N connectors for good measure.

Another duplexer was borrowed, tuned, connected and our new repeater system was
found to work perfectly with noticeably improved performance compared to that
of the replaced system. Telewave was then contacted for a replacement that
would fit in the space I had the PD in. Space was and still is tight as I have
three repeaters (2 meters, 222,and 440), all complete with duplexers, a Link
controller, power and space for several remote receiver interface units all in
six foot enclosed computer system rack.

Hope this answers your question-----I suspect the duplexer troubles here are
the result of some corrosion and possibly some tuning with power applied abuse.
I'm envisioning a complete disassembly and replating to be the fix.

Scott, N6NXI

 I know that one of them was tuned with power applied---about 30 watts---and
the problem found afterwards.