hi all,

Feb 29, 2009 is the date.

Here in Tampa Bay, FL, area we have a number of independent and of
course the regular affiliates.   Ch 10 NTSC has ch 24 for HDTV, but
near the 2009 date they will replace the Ch 10 with a NTSC/HDTV (quick
mod for going to HDTV) and turn off the Ch 24.  They spent over
$1,000,000 on 24 and it will be turned off and I assume for sale to
someone somewhere needing a 24 HDTV tx.  The FCC required them to do
this to keep Ch 10 license.

The converter boxes will be needed by the 14% over the air NTSC TVs
viewers.  The gov is giving up to two $40/house hold coupons for the
purchase.  You can apply at www.dtv2009.gov for the coupons.  They
have link to sources for the converters, but as of now there are no
listings.  They predict the boxes will go for $50-70, but I have not
seen any for less than $170.  You will need a converter for each TV
unless you watch the same on all of what you have.

Most of the TV stations here do not have HDTV cameras and other studio
equipment.  One does and brags about its remotes are HDTV equipped.

For us who have cable and sat we will not be affected at least for now.

73, ron, n9ee/r