Bob

If the tantalum went immediately it was either in backwards or there is a power supply that is supplying a negative spike. I have popped tantalums a number of times just because the marking are so inconstant. Replace with another tantalum and have a scope across the cap when you power it up.

Gran

At 10:31 PM 1/21/2008, you wrote:

At 1/21/2008 17:49, you wrote:

>Bob,
>
>I'd check C15, the 470 pF mica capacitor that's on the same power supply
>lead. It might be a good idea to replace both of the other caps that
>parallel C16.

I tried replacing C16 with a 4.7 µF 35 V tantalum, which immediately
exploded upon applying power. I checked the rest of the 4.7 µF caps in my
parts bin; all are bad. I remember buying these at Dayton a couple of
years ago, & at near-retail prices too. Although the 6.8 µF caps check OK
at DC, & think they may not be handling the high operating
temperature. All the caps in that area run fairly hot due to heat
conduction from the PC board.

I put a 1 µF 50 V non-polarized cap. in place of it & so far it's holding
up. I also checked the PA output on the spectrum analyzer, both directly &
looking into the flatpack duplexer & with & without the extra capacitor: no
spurs.

Bob NO6B