The aim of this 10 meter repeater, during its first 4 to 5 years of operation
was to
provide a 10 Meter FM repeater for local use. It started with both receive and
transmit antennas being verticals.  But I found that no one in our metropolitan
area
of about 4000 to 5000 licensed amateurs was interested in LOCAL communications.
on 10 meters. They had 2 meter repeaters for local communications ( and their
are
30 to 40 2 meter repeaters located within 30 miles of my location). They could
also
use the 3 six meter repeaters and the 20 to 30 UHF repeaters for local use.

I then attached the 2 meter cross-band repeater and got a few local hams
interested
with the idea that they could get on 10 meters.  But they never quite
understood that they
were on a cross-band repeater and could only hear with the local 29.56 receiver
heard.
What they really wanted was a remote base on 29.56/66 from the 2 meter
repeater.The
idea that they were listening on an input from a 10 meter repeater and
transmitting on the
output of a 10 meter repeater never could be quite understood by the 2 meter
operators.
The question of "why can't I hear all of the other people on the different
29.66 repeaters"
was constantly raised.

My current plans call for installing a 100 watt Motorola Maratrac multiple
channel mobile
on 10 meters and cross-connect it to a Motorola MSF5000 UHF repeater that I
operate.
This will replace the 10 meter repeater. Now I can offer a multiple channel 10
meter FM
cross-connected "repeater" that can be used on the 10 meter repeater channels
as well
as the 10 meter FM simplex channels.

I think this planned 10 meter station better fits what the amateurs in the Twin
Cities Metro
area expect of 10 meter FM and will get some support from local hams.

Paul  K0LAV

From: "Paul Plack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Paul,

What was your goal for the repeater? Was it intended to be useful for distant
users during band openings, or for locals when the band was dead?

Using a horizontal dipole on the receiver punished mobiles running vertical
whips by as much as 20 - 25 dB, and have coverage nulls off the ends of the
dipole, so it's no wonder the machine was hard to hit. (-20 dB would make your
100-watt mobile equivalent to running 1 watt.)

The same would be true in reverse on the output...guys running horizontally
polarized dipoles or HF beams would get poor signals on the repeater output.
(-20 dB from 60 watts is... 600 milliwatts!) Besides...what self-respecting HF
operator with a tribander wants to work a local repeater? He's probably after
DX.

The distant stations you worked crossband were able to both hit and hear the
machine because skip causes rotation of the original polarization, and it can
even be received better vertical at one point, and horizontal at a spot 5 miles
away, at the same moment. But...guys in other states aren't likely to support
your repeater financially.

It might have worked out better had you chosen a specific mission, then built
the repeater to be optimum for that purpose. I'm interested in building a 10m
repeater, but I'd just as soon shut it down during band openings. What's fun
for me is to have DX when the band is open, and good local communications with
the same rig when the band goes dead. That means, for me, I'll want high,
vertical antennas at both sites to favor mobiles.

A 10m repeater can have superb local and regional coverage using vertical
antennas at good sites. When I lived in Atlanta in the mid-80s, we had a great
local bunch on 10 FM, and a local repeater which covered the metro beautifully
with vertical antennas.

There was also a machine in Albany, GA I could hit with my converted CB mobile
if I was in a clear spot. That's 140 miles, not too shabby for a 4-foot
helically-wound fiberglass whip and 3 watts. I could hit it from anywhere in
the Atlanta area with the 70-watt amp, but had too much mobile noise to hear it
reliably.

If you want a repeater which works well for both horizontal and vertical
polarization, it would be worth trying circular polarization, using crossed
dipoles like the satellite guys use. Circular polarization would allow both
horizontal and vertical users to hit and hear the machine with only 3 dB loss,
compared to a dipole optimized for their polarization. It would also greatly
reduce fading on DX signals during band openings.

But...if you were looking for financial support, verticals would probably be
the way to go.

73,
Paul, AE4KR