Nate,

Wish it were that easy.  In about all my rigs to set the freq is easy, turn the
tuning knob.  Most have standard offset and hope the repeater you are going to
does also.  As for CTCSS most all my rigs require multiple setting and menus.
One to set the freq, one to set rx or tx, etc.

Then comes the 2 years later when it must be done again.  I don't care if it is
3 months later many will not be able to set some of the items in a rig they
have been trained on.

Pre-program what you need then if there are 5 freq/tone/offsets in a system
just quickly turn the knob.

If the approach of no training then no operation then lots of people will be
left without EmComm and this is not an option.

Really sounds as if so many are planning a weekend bike run and not the real
thing.  I saw the need for someone not trained to do a commo job immediately in
the military and the "no training no do" was not an option.

I do encourage all to train as much as they can.  It is valuable, but often
helps less then some think.

73, ron, n9ee/r

>With a radio it takes 5 minutes... someone stands there and says, "Tune
>to X, standard repeater offset, and set a X Hz CTCSS tone."... and waits
>to see if the person can do it.  Do a few more.

Ron Wright, N9EE
727-376-6575
MICRO COMPUTER CONCEPTS
Owner 146.64 repeater Tampa Bay, FL