At 5/3/2008 11:44, you wrote:

>At 08:44 AM 05/01/08, Ron Wright, N9EE wrote:
> >
> >(big chunk cut out)
> >
> >One other plus for
> >folded dipole antennas, the fiberglass antennas are much more prone to
> >become toothpicks with a lightning strike where a 224 will most likely
> >survive.
>
>Plus in windy areas they need a top support to prevent
>self-destructive flexing.
>Yes. it will take some time to show up but it will happen eventually.

...and when it does the effects can be very hideous.  I once had desense on
my 2 meter repeater that was caused by a UHF RX antenna 6 feet away from my
RX only antenna (both antennas were on top of the tower, where no TXing was
allowed).  The bad antenna was a commercial fiberglass omni, about 10 to 12
ft. long.

Bob NO6B