--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Bagwell"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> OK guys, along this same line, I have a VHF all copper J-Pole and
plan on building UHF all copper J-pole.
> Is common clear lacquer OK to prevent corrosion on the copper
elements?  I have used automotive type black silicone under 2" wide
electrical tape to seal connections and the coax itself. The Coax to
antenna connectors have been soldered to the copper tubing after
finding best SWR.
> Other choices, Clear enamel, colored lacquer/enamel etc. Other
stuff I have not even thought of?
> mainly just stop the copper from turning "green" but don't want to
mess with the antenna in any way. This will be used beside my house
and not at some far away repeater. Limited life is OK so long as I am
aware of limitations.

> Bruce
> KE5TPN
------------

> This painting of antennas seems to be on many of our minds.
>
> Wonder what the antenna manufactures would recommend or what they
use if any??? After you get beyond the sales person who swears their
products are rock solid and don't need painting or additional
protection then you might get someone who would give some info.

> I would hope they would have done testing for anything they
recommend, both SWR and pattern and signal.

> 73, ron, n9ee/r

     Er.. uh...  Excuse me, but why all this commotion about painting
and preserving antennas???

If everyone used limited range, low gain, stacked folded dipoles,
then maybe so, but stacked folded dipoles are a low gain limited
range item.

I've seen them used in small towns with limited coverage Public
Safety fleets, and Local Paging, but only where limited range
coverage is required.

When I worked in Mobile Radio Communications ALL Remote Base /
Repeater antennas were stacked coaxial antennas inside a tapered
Fiberglass radome (Station Master type?) and operated at DC ground,
with a properly grounded mount, which was realy a good lightning rod
as well, where there was never a problem, and at a normally 10 db
gain!!  There are Internet aricles on building these..

Commercial / Public Safety fleets are normally of defined coverage
areas, but we hams want to talk as far as we can... which means more
gain, and I've never heard of anyone wanting to paint or preserve an
antenna, for everything was enclosed except a link cornor reflector
or beam antenna!!!

Dick, W7TIO

> >From: Chuck Kelsey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Date: 2008/05/04 Sun AM 08:52:31 CDT
> >To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
> >Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Re: antenna question - Dip It and
Scotch Kote and Krylon

> >Funny you should mention Krylon... although I haven't done so in
recent
> >years, I used to Krylon (clear) all antennas and never had a
problem. I
> >forgot all about that until your mention of it. And they were
mostly UHF
> >antennas - beams and folded dipoles. Go figure.
> >
> >Chuck
> >WB2EDV

Scotch Kote