The laymans equation for power is

P=IE(cos(phase difference between I & E))

The cos of phase difference is the power factor.  This could be hard to
determine by most who do not have the proper equipment.

However, power is not the voltage and current at a single point of time, but
the product of the intergal of the IE wave giving the RMS power.  This is the
power we are most often concerned with.

My home power meter was changed about a year ago to a digital one that can be
read by a worker in a van passing by on the street.  The old for over 70 years
meter of a motor with rotor and stator in parrallel/series worked great and was
simple.  I wonder what method is being used with the new digital meters.

73, ron, n9ee/r

Ron Wright, N9EE
727-376-6575
MICRO COMPUTER CONCEPTS