The best instrument I used to tune a duplexer was and IFR spectrum anal with
built in tracking gen.  It output a sweep and displayed on a large 9 inch
screen.  Had tunable freq markers and was built machine.  Let you know all that
was going on except the SWR/impedance.  Could tell where all the notches and
passes were at the same time.  This was over 20 years ago and know they have
something better today, but still it worked great.  Had enought dynamic range
on output and input for 100 db range.

73, ron, n9ee/r

Ron Wright, N9EE
727-376-6575