ACE hardware stores stocks 10' aluminum poles

Chris

----- Original Message ----
From: n3dab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 2:14:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Reasonably low wind load antenna

For anyone looking for a DB mast to mount their dipoles and harness
on, check out all you commercial radio shops for damaged or pulled DB
antennas.  Don't worry about what band they are on - all you wan't is
the mast anyway.  DB's are sleeved internally at the center joint
with exposed ends of the upper and lower mast sections being cut at a
45 degree angle.  The sleeve is secured in the top mast section and
slides into the bottom section about a foot.  the top and bottom are
secured together with 2 SS hose clamps.  The base is also sleeved
internally for clamp reinforcement.

Another source would be a metal fabricator or aluminum supplier and
purchase a 20' section of 1 3/4" 0r 2" heavywall aluminum tube and
mount your dipoles on it. Wall thickness should be 1/8" thick minimum
top to bottom.  If you can also pick up a 24" long section of tube to
slip up into the bottom to reinforce the clamping area all the better.

Doug  N3DAB

--- In Repeater-Builder@ yahoogroups. com, "Jim Cicirello" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Ron,
>
> Thanks for the mounting information. I also lack the DB224 Mast
that the four dipoles mount on. From my research the original is two
pieces about twelve feet long that I believe bolt together, the
diameter I have not been able to find. From the ones I have seen the
mounting pole is quite robust. Do you have any pole stock that you
could recommend that would hold the DB224 on a side mount
configuration? As I recall although the mast was very rigid, it was
quite lightweight.

> Thanks JIM  KA2AJH
>

>   _____

[EMAIL PROTECTED] .com] On Behalf Of Ron Wright
> Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 12:23 PM
> To: Repeater-Builder@ yahoogroups. com
> Subject: Re: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Reasonably low wind load antenna
>
> Jim,
>
> The DB224 is usually supplied with 2 clamps where each clamp
attaches to the DB224 mast and the other side clamps to the
tower/mounting pipe. I believe these are made for 2-1/2" pipe.

> At www.tessco.com you can see pictures of these clamps and also
purchase them although they are not cheap. They are very rugged
galvanized clamps with 3/8-1/2" bolts 8" or so long and nuts.

> I would recommend looking on e-bay or someone here that might have
them.

> Another mount is side mounts. For DB224 18" off the tower is
typical. These have V shaped pieces one at each end of 2 pipes. The V
is clamped to the tower and the other end the DB224 is clamped. You
really need 2 mounts for this, one at the bottom and one near the
top. Usually the top mount is a single pipe with C/U clamps to keep
the antenna from swaying and the bottom holds the antenna weight.

> The DB 224 can be top mounted without the fear of the swaying in
the wind damaging it unlike fiberglass antennas. I like putting top
and bottom mounts when one can, but if top mounted not done for
obvious reasons (there is no top, hi).

> 73,ron, n9ee/r
>
> >From: Jim Cicirello <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:ka2ajh% 40gmail.com> com>
> >Date: 2008/06/24 Tue AM 11:11:02 EDT
> >To: Repeater-Builder@ <mailto:Repeater- Builder%40yahoog roups.com>
yahoogroups. com
> >Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Reasonably low wind load antenna
>

> >Hi Ron Another Question Please: I was fortunate enough to buy a
good DB224 without the support mast. After following the opinions on
wind loading, etc. I am wondering what can be used for a support mast
and where the masting might be purchased? Any ideas?  Thanks JIM
KA2AJH   ----- Original Message ----- From: Ron Wright To: Repeater-
Builder@ <mailto:Repeater- Builder%40yahoog roups.com> yahoogroups. com
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 7:47 AM Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder]
Reasonably low wind load antenna

> >Tony,
> >
> >First the Ringo-Ranger does not have the 7 dbi gain. To think a
smaller 12 ft antenna would have about the same gain as one the size
of a 4 bay dipole is not realistic. One note of info...antenna
manufactures, especially from Japan, lie all the time. I would not
use such harsh words except after years of this junk something needs
to be said. I is said here on this board all the time for many know
antenna performance here, hi.

> >Your wind loading limits will require a smaller, lower gain
antenna. If ice is a problem the Ringo-Ranger will probably not last
that long.

> >I would recommend going to www.tessco.com, a distributor of 2-way
gear, and check thru their antenna section. They have a number of
finnne manufactures with their specs.

> >73, ron, n9ee/r
> >
> >>From: Tony VE6MVP <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:tony% 40ve6mvp. com> com>
> >>Date: 2008/06/23 Mon PM 10:28:11 EDT
> >>To: Repeater-Builder@ <mailto:Repeater- Builder%40yahoog roups.com>
yahoogroups. com
> >>Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Reasonably low wind load antenna
> >

> >>Folks
> >>
> >>We're moving a VHF amateur repeater to a 96' Trylon self
supportingtower.  The overwhelming opinion is that our current 210C4
four bayfolded dipole would be too much of a weight and wind load for
thattower.

> >>One comment has been the Ringo Ranger.   The wind load of
theCushcraft Ringo Ranger II
ARX2Bhttp:// cushcraft. com/comm/ support/pdf/ RINGOS%20AR2% 206%2010%
20ARX450%20220B% 202B.pdfis 0.5 square feet.   The windload of the
Sinclar SD214 http://www.sinclair
<http://www.sinclair technologies. com/catalog/ resources/ pdf/SD214-
HF2P3LDF> technologies. com/catalog/ resources/ pdf/SD214- HF2P3LDF( D00S-
LSABK)-DI.pdf (newer model to 210C4) is 5.57 square feet.  Although
the ice area is 17.04 sq ft.  The SD214 has a dbd gain of 7.2, dbi of
9.3.   The Ringo Ranger has dbi gain of 7.0.  However the coverage
plot in rural slightly hilly Alberta isn't all that much different.