Laryn,

As recommended by Eric, I and others a relay would be simple thing to do using
the normal outlet until it failed and then automatically switch over to the RED
outlet.

I am sure one could come up with a complex way of doing it with some good
reasons, but a simple 3 pole/double throw relay being powered from the normal
white outlet would work with you not having to worry about tripping the RED
breaker under normal use.

If 40 years ago we would suggest you put a penny in the fuse socket, hi.  Back
then you could probably get away with it, but today just doing it would get
your repeater tossed into the next county.  That is what we need...panel
circuit breakers with penny slots.

73, ron, n9ee/r

>From: Laryn Lohman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Date: 2008/07/13 Sun PM 11:57:05 EDT
>To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Switching a Repeater Betwen AC Sources

>Thanks for the great posts so far.
>
>Perhaps I didn't make it clear in my original post--our equipment is
>and always has been plugged into the red receptacle.  It was installed
>by hospital electricians a number of years ago for us, and we are the
>sole load on the circuit.  It was the recent storm, and presumed
>lightning strike, that tripped the AC breaker in the emergency breaker
>panel in the penthouse where our stuff is.
>
>The point of all this is that the breaker tripped, leaving our
>equipment with no power <duh hehehe>.  So I was proposing a method of
>implementing a "backup breaker" in case one breaker trips.  My
>proposal is that our normal, daily supply would be the white
>receptacle.  If it goes dead, whether from utility failure or breaker
>trip, we have the red receptacle, which will then be ready to feed our
>stuff.
>
>The reason we would not want to be on the red receptacle normally is
>that in case of a lightning strike we are potentially left with a dead
>red from the strike, and dead white if the utility is down.
>Obviously, another strike, after we've switched to the red, kills AC
>totally to our stuff.  The presumption is that a breaker probably
>won't trip, even after a strike, if there's not a load of some sort on
>it to complete a path for the "tripping" current.  Make sense?
>
>Eric, I think you're on my line of thinking.  Good point on keeping
>the greens isolated.
>
>Laryn K8TVZ

Ron Wright, N9EE
727-376-6575