I have used SCOM in the past (5Ks) and bought a 7330 over a year ago. The 7330 is hands down the nicest piece of hardware I've ever seen in a repeater controller (just like the old ones were), but the software was seriously lacking, and after waiting over six months and seeing only very limited movement, I finally bailed out of it. While incredibly powerful, SCOM software is rather complex since "common functions" are built up from many smaller macros. When it was stable and fully-functional, this was just a case of "more hassle programming for more powerful features in the end", but due to the extremely long development cycle (years in beta?) I had to jump ship. With that said, I understand that Bob and co. at SCOM have "day jobs" and things take priority. If the 7330 software is ever fully completed, the controller will be a force to be reckoned with.

Having owned/used LinkComm, SCOM, FF-Systems, CAT, ACC, Zetron (yeah, not a ham controller, but they work and are bulletproof) and Arcom. All of the controllers are good. Every controller builder has a niche, and a reason why they decided to build a controller. I doubt any of them did it for the money, so they obviously had (good) ideas about how to do things differently. I would try to figure out what the particular repeater system and community of operators/users needs (and expects) from the system and match the controller that way.

73 DE N0MJS

On Aug 4, 2008, at 9:43 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

At 8/3/2008 22:35, you wrote:

> On a quick look at the available controllers around the SCOM 7330 looks
> like a fairly new kid on the block. I wonder if anyone has had any
> experience with this model or SCOM as a whole? -Mike

I maintain 2 systems using 7330s, & I'm quite impressed. Right now there's a firmware issue that causes one of the 3 ports to lock up. I think this has hit only a couple of the many they've sold so far (including one of mine, but fortunately the locked port is ununsed), so it's pretty rare but
that also probably why they're having trouble fixing it. I understand
they're very close to a fix for that plus a firmware update, which will come with many new features. The last beta firmware release appears to be immune to this problem, so if you're really worried about the slim chance
of a lockup you can have that version loaded until the next release.

Bob NO6B

--
Cort Buffington
H: +1-785-838-3034