Burt,
Thanks for the tip. I will give that a try when I get back to working
on that project.

I will let you know how successful we were.

Joe - WA7JAW

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I had a few Sinclair LB cans (from a LB hybrid ring duplexor) some
years ago that were in the 30-40MHz range.  They had a "can" about
12in long by about 3 inches in diameter silver soldered to the
moveable end of the resonator.  Removing these with an acetylene torch
raised the frequency by about 10MHz (ie 35MHz went to 45MHz) in the
center of its tuning range.

> Adding such a "can" or tophat capacitor to your cans should lower
their frequency by the same percentage.  I also had a high band VHF
can that tuned the aircraft band that had a similar can on it except
that it was only 2in long.  More like a cup.  Removing that raised the
range to 132 -150 or more.

> The diameter of the added "can" appeared to be about 2-1/2 to 3
times the diameter of the resonator.  The length would be whatever was
required to achieve the end result.

> Any of these tophat capacitors will lower the Q of the can but at 6m
you have lots of spare leeway with 1 mHz separation.