I have seen problems with using analyzers on dipole arrays, hopefully the
bridge will give you a better report. Also might be an open connector as
mentioned.

Don Kirchner

From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ian Miller
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 8:44 AM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Antenna question

Our group has a Sinclair 8 dipole array for UHF.

The repeater was recently moved, and has not been behaving as usual.
It hears OK, but seems weak on transmit.

One of the members went up to the site last night with an MFJ antenna
analyser - and he measured SWR at 3:1 - with no real resonant point.

Our old UHF beam that was on the same tower and same feedline had an
SWR of 1.5:1 measured on the same analyser.

Is this method of measurement on an 8 dipole antenna correct? We
have not put an SWR bridge on it.

For the moment the repeater is off the air until the antenna question
is resolved.

What is inside the guts of one of those 8-bay antennas? Do they have
a weak point where a bad connection can occur?

Thanks

Ian
VA2IR