  -----Original Message-----
  From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Paul Plack
  Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2008 4:59 PM
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Ge mastr 2 link question

  Ditto the possible issue with the Astrons, but you may also have too many
common grounds.

  If you have the grounds of the machines interconnected through (1) the
power supplies, (2) antenna and/or feedline bonds, (3) rack rails, (4)
through the linking cable and (5) an additional, "just to be sure" ground
strap between the radios, you could very easily have a ground loop.

  Since all the interconnections are made using unbalanced audio lines, you
can't just lift the ground at one end as we might try in the pro audio
world. Sometimes, a cheapo audio transformer, like the 600-ohm isolation
transformers from Radio Shack, are enough to alleviate the loop, because
they allow you to leave an audio ground floating from the chassis at one end
of the link cable.

  A quick, cheap investigative tool here is one of the old
three-into-two-prong AC plug adapters. If you use it to lift the ground pin
on one of the Astrons and the problem goes away, it will be an important
clue.

  Good luck!

  73,
  Paul, AE4KR